Here's your checklist with everything you need to do to plan your wedding.
1 year before the wedding
- Discuss the wedding budget with both sets of parents.
- Choose your wedding date (have a second choice in mind) and arrange to meet with the ceremony officiant.
- Arrange for the soloist, organist or other musicians.
- Reserve the reception facility.
- Arrange for the catering, disc jockey and/or band.
6 months to 1 year before
- Arrange a visit with the clergy to set the date and time of the ceremony.
- Sit down with both sets of parents to review the budget and guest list.
- Bride: Select your wedding gown and veil.
6 months before the wedding
- Book your photographer and videographer.
- Start your guest list and have parents start theirs.
- Bride: Choose your attendants and order their dresses.
- Groom: Choose your best man and ushers and advise them what to wear.
- Register for china, crystal, flatware, linens and other gifts.
- Discuss honeymoon plans, visit a travel agent and send away for brochures.
4 months before the wedding
- Groom: Choose suit style.
- Complete the guest list.
- Order invitations and other stationery. (Don’t forget a guest book.)
- Get any vaccinations required for travel.
- Get passports in order.
- Order flowers.
- Register for premarital classes.
- Shop for wedding bands.
- Meet with the musicians to select music
3 months before the wedding
- Finalize your own and your families' guest lists.
- Groom: Order wedding attire for yourself and your attendants.
- Arrange honeymoon. Are your visas and passports in order?
2 months before the wedding
- Order the wedding cake.
- Bride: Have makeup and hair consultations.
- Finalize the reception menu.
- Address invitations and announcements.
- Mail invitations to arrive six weeks before the wedding.
- Arrange for limousines or alternate transportation.
- Bride: Attend gown fittings and make appointments for attendants’ fittings.
1 month before (Bride)
- Have your final dress fitting.
- Buy gifts for the groom and your attendants.
- Write thank-you notes as gifts are received. (Keep a list.)
- Schedule a rehearsal for the week before the wedding.
- Arrange accommodation for out-of-town guests.
- Confirm details with the caterer, florist, photographer and musicians.
1 month before (Groom)
- Buy gifts for the bride and your attendants.
- Arrange overnight accommodation for out-of-town attendants and guests.
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
2 weeks before the wedding
- Review all transportation arrangements.
- Continue with thank-you notes.
1 week before the wedding
- Check final details & confirm times with caterer, florist, photographer, band, limousine company.
- Bride & Groom: Pick up your wedding attire.
- Advise best man and ushers regarding the rehearsal and any special seating arrangements at the service.
- Give gifts to your attendants.
- Give the clergy’s honorarium to the best man.
- Pack clothes for the honeymoon.
On the Big Day (Groom)
- Speak with the best man and review his obligations – ring clergyman’s honourarium and timing for the day.
- Arrive 20 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- Perhaps phone the next day to thank all the parents.
For more information and photos check out our Weddings Burlington website and our Facebook page.